Day 31: Mar 29, 2012.
I had a glorious morning all by myself in the pool. My nails were a glistening neon pink underwater in the sunlight, the water was cool, and it was fun standing on my tippy toes in ways I couldn't ever above water. Got a little nostalgic when I tried the twist and the mermaid, strokes Shiv's dad once showed us, I think. I even indulged in customary post swimming french fries; when I was tiny and still untouched by imminent obesity, I was always promised a plate if I managed to swim more than twenty laps.
My most favorite memories growing up are by the swimming pool. By default, anyone plus minus four years of my age and in a swimsuit was a friend. So many of my friends then were kids of corp. execs, in the city only for a couple of years, there for a bit, but gone before I knew it. I don't remember names, don't even remember faces, only strange characteristics. The boy with breasts and the girl-walk, the girl with the gorgeous looking older brother, the boy who insisted on wearing his horse-riding boots even to birthday parties, the annoying fellow who made me cry by forcing me to cat walk at his party, my first crush, a sardar with a Gujju name, which I absolutely can't recall. There was Winnie the Pooh who was called Winnie the Pooh because he owned one Winnie the Pooh t-shirt. There was Mother Goose, named so because he liked to sit on the bucket of tennis balls and protect his unborn babies. There was a fellow who cried and complained to the coach because we called him gay (haww), though I doubt any of us, including him, really knew what gay meant at the time. Incidentally, I think I was a bit of a bully growing up. Hmm.
I wonder what they would remember of me, if at all.
It was lovely, albeit a little bizzarre, how these things came back to me today and the way they did, like mild ripples going back and forth in an outdoor swimming pool.
Had a brief fit of anger later in the day. It subsided when I met Man for lunch, she addressed me as a bikini bod babe. Untrue as that may be, it made me happy.
I need to stop spending so much money, I feel terrible.
Sigh.
SV.
I had a glorious morning all by myself in the pool. My nails were a glistening neon pink underwater in the sunlight, the water was cool, and it was fun standing on my tippy toes in ways I couldn't ever above water. Got a little nostalgic when I tried the twist and the mermaid, strokes Shiv's dad once showed us, I think. I even indulged in customary post swimming french fries; when I was tiny and still untouched by imminent obesity, I was always promised a plate if I managed to swim more than twenty laps.
My most favorite memories growing up are by the swimming pool. By default, anyone plus minus four years of my age and in a swimsuit was a friend. So many of my friends then were kids of corp. execs, in the city only for a couple of years, there for a bit, but gone before I knew it. I don't remember names, don't even remember faces, only strange characteristics. The boy with breasts and the girl-walk, the girl with the gorgeous looking older brother, the boy who insisted on wearing his horse-riding boots even to birthday parties, the annoying fellow who made me cry by forcing me to cat walk at his party, my first crush, a sardar with a Gujju name, which I absolutely can't recall. There was Winnie the Pooh who was called Winnie the Pooh because he owned one Winnie the Pooh t-shirt. There was Mother Goose, named so because he liked to sit on the bucket of tennis balls and protect his unborn babies. There was a fellow who cried and complained to the coach because we called him gay (haww), though I doubt any of us, including him, really knew what gay meant at the time. Incidentally, I think I was a bit of a bully growing up. Hmm.
I wonder what they would remember of me, if at all.
It was lovely, albeit a little bizzarre, how these things came back to me today and the way they did, like mild ripples going back and forth in an outdoor swimming pool.
Had a brief fit of anger later in the day. It subsided when I met Man for lunch, she addressed me as a bikini bod babe. Untrue as that may be, it made me happy.
I need to stop spending so much money, I feel terrible.
Sigh.
SV.
No comments:
Post a Comment