Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day 20

Day 20: Mar 18, 2012.

I'm starting to face the reality of the fact that KK won't be here next semester, with her being away in Europe, and that I won't be living with either her or Man. For whom will I try on clothes before going out? Who will do my make-up for me? Who will I cry to when I have a bad night? The thought of a Man or KK-less life is frightening. It's making me very sad.

I used to have the boy-friend to cheer me up on days like these. Sigh. Ekla Cholo Re.

I've had a slow hungover day, both my brain and body are punishing me for the cells I killed last night. Scrabble helps me take my mind off things. Music is not helping,  I can't read, I can't concentrate on anything really. I shall go try to go downstairs and find someone with whom to play TT. Though the only person I've played with is my brother, and given that we taught ourselves, I'm not sure I'm any good.

On an equally dismal note, it's sad that the Indian Government happily concedes that women shouldn't go home alone from work after eight, without really remedying the larger issue of public safety. It's very unfortunate. Working Indian women have glass ceilings, sexual harrasment, conservative parents and in-laws to deal with, anyway. I wonder why it never occured to anyone that this would heavily discourage much-needed female employment. With this law, hiring a woman is simply taking on another barrage of inconveniences, a man in her stead would be so much more convenient. The law also feels brutally disempowering. It's humiliating that the State is being tolerant of how things are, and trying to find ways to bypass the real problem. It's humiliating that being alone at night on the the streets of one's own city is simply not being seen as a fundamental right that deserves protection from the State. Maybe what we need is an 8pm law for EVERYONE.

Not a happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment