Today the girls and I indulged in over-priced Bangali food, boy was it worth it. I can't eat very much, maach mangsho is clearly out of bounds for me, but aloo dom, luchi, chatney, yes oh yes oh yes. We took pictures of the delicacies, I shall upload them as soon as they're made avellbel to me.
The mom's side of the fam called and wished, Poila Boishak, I even got instructions from an aunt about how to make payesh, but I was still in a half state of slumber, murmured assent and went back to sleep without pursuing it really. Consoled myself later with how many calories I spared my metabolism. Danced to Bappi Das music, made a bit of an effort to look good, the usual. Man's despondently homesick, she's been on facebook all day looking at real time updates of girls in red lipstick and gorgeous sarees.
We sat around, tried to guess which Bangalis are from which side of the barbed wire. Mostly, we concluded, haute red lipstick is a dead giveaway of a Bangladeshi. We also discussed why we mime the act of signing when asking for the bill. It's an age old habit, one most of us picked up from our mums and dads, so it definitely predates the age of the credit card. We concluded it must have something to do with signing at clubs.
I will be back in the homeland in ten days! I can't wait to lounge by the pool and read, without the perpetual bane of assignments bouncing on my head, and eating what I want where I want without looking at the right hand side of the menu. I can't wait to go shopping with the mommy, ordering hordes of books online, blissfully relaxing at the parlor without doling out a penny from my pocket, and seeing Yash again, who has apparently become quite the aggressive blabbermouth and uses his newly acquired ability to walk to wreak havoc on the already established bedlam of the Vakharia fam.
Here's Yash, smaller and more docile than he is now apparently. I missed his first birthday celebrations, and I'm racking my brains as to what to get him. The boy has too many doting relatives who flood him with all sorts of unnecessary frivolous indulgences and I refuse to buy him a some hotwheels banality. Refuse. Must get inventive.

Puchka and Hungergames. Cannot wait to be home and indulge.
Tendaystendaystendaytendaystendaystendays.
(Food pictures still forthcoming!)
Have an exam on Monday for which I am screwed. You think i'm kidding, but I'm not. I'm so screwed, like in ways even the Cosmo hasn't discovered yet, though metaphorically speaking, unfortunately. Back to the books I've been breaking my dense head over for a few days now. Tata.
SV.
No comments:
Post a Comment