Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 39: The Lady and Dangerous Method

Day 39: Apr 6, 2012.

I had a horrible hangover plus a hideous nagging neck-ache. I thought it was because I slept funny, then I remembered it was from all the head banging last night. That hasn't happened in very long.

Chatted with the ex for a while today. Each of us is essentially pretty alone right now, and miraculously, fairly happy to be so. We've both in our separate lives now acheived some peace, and we understand the need to be by ourselves and figure ourselves out and move on. The real sort of closure is forthcoming, or almost here, I can feel it tangibly.

Worked very little in the morning/afternoon. Finally showered etc at nine in the evening, then hopped to the theater to watch two movies by myself back to back.

As Sherlock might have guessed, the first was The Lady, which was your typical sad soppy heart-breaking film, it had me and every one around sobbing in hysterics. The typical motif, that greatness is a curse so many, (and yet so few) in spite of themselves, relentlessly strive towards. Same as Margaret Thatcher, Gandhi, and to some extent every other Great, I would imagine. Burma was gorgeously shot, I desperately want to go backpacking now.

The second was Dangerous Method, which left me a little bit confused and lost, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel. Too many themes, too many motifs, maybe some of it got lost in translation, maybe I'm just not smart enough to get it, I'm still processing it, phew. What was a particularly tragic feeling was wondering how much wealth of knowledge we lost due to the Jewish genocide. How much we could have had, but don't because of the humanity we lost.

That's all folkie doodlio do.

SV.

1 comment:

  1. The imdb links for the two movies have been inter-changed.

    ReplyDelete